Topic: BRAWL 2015: The Sword

Directory Link

The Sword [BRAWL 2015]

Direct Link

When a prince in stripped of the crown and his father, he must embark on a quest for justice.

An entry to the 2015 Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long (or BRAWL) contest, where contestants are given a theme and week to make brickfilm. This year's them was "focus".

Last edited by legocloneaddict (July 25, 2015 (10:09pm))

If a frame were worth a penny, I'd probably have like, $30 or something.

Re: BRAWL 2015: The Sword

Although the plot was a little predictable, it was still an enjoyable film.

Spoiler (click to read)

My favorite part was the boy's transition to being a man, it was smooth and seamless to the point I had to go back and look at him beforehand. The fight scenes were pretty good as well.

Great film, by the way! But can you explain to me exactly what BRAWL is?:)

BRAWL is a week long animation contest that happens once a year, You can read about the rules here.

Nice film!

The sets were awesome, the animation was very smooth, and I like the transition from boyhood to manhood. The only things I could critique on would be the lack of angles in the beginning, which would have added to the visual variety of the beginning, especially in a scene like that. Also the villain attacking seemed rather abrupt and sudden.

But besides for those few things this is awesome, great work and good luck in the contest!

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Harborlight wrote:

Nice film!

The sets were awesome, the animation was very smooth, and I like the transition from boyhood to manhood. The only things I could critique on would be the lack of angles in the beginning, which would have added to the visual variety of the beginning, especially in a scene like that. Also the villain attacking seemed rather abrupt and sudden.

But besides for those few things this is awesome, great work and good luck in the contest!

Thank you! I appreciate it. When I designed the set for the beginning and end sequences, only one of the walls was collapsable while the other three couldn't be separated, so I could really only take shots from essentially one angle. As for the villain attacking abruptly, I was going to add in a line about how he was the brother that was screwed out of the crown or something, which certainly would've made more sense, but I tried to make it have as little dialogue as possible. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20. Again, thanks for the feedback!

If a frame were worth a penny, I'd probably have like, $30 or something.

I really like this film. Most of the film is well paced and well made, I especially liked the transition from boy to man, and the animation of the removal of the hood. My one big critique is that you should have spent a few quick shots establishing that the crown was being overthrown, given the audience time to recognize that a conflict was occurring out in the hallway before the usurper entered, and spent more time on the actual murder of the king. It happened way to fast and didn't let the audience engage in what is a pivotal moment in the film. I have one other nitpick. Something I see in a lot of films is the second face printed on the back of a minifig head showing through the hair. This is easy to avoid by simply using a plain smiley head when the characters back is to the camera, so they don't have a mouth on the back of their head. It always pulls me out of a film and is so easy to avoid. Otherwise I think it's a great film, nice job. mini/smile

Awesome film, legocloneaddict! There's not much to critque besides what has already been said. I really enjoyed the film. The stab at the end was a bit gross and unrealistic (I think you could have probably made it an implied stab by showing him falling over or something instead of actually focusing on that itself), but it still worked. The voice of the king and the boy sounded a bit too similar, I couldn't tell who was talking at times. The music was very fitting though, and your animation was good!

Keep up the good work. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b